In 1881 at what is today 318-326 W. 4th St., the Emery brothers constructed the very first apartment house in Cincinnati, the Lombardy Apartments. Before this building Cincinnati's multifamily buildings never contained kitchens or separate bathrooms and were called "flats" because all rooms were level on one floor. These apartments had both kitchens and bathrooms in each apartment and on different floors. Not only is this the oldest apartment building in Cincinnati, it is also older than any in New York City. In 1883 bachelor, and future president, William Howard Taft became a resident in Flat #25 and stayed until 1886. The building was renovated in 1995. It is a National Historic Place.
Not a postcard
The Lombardy Apartments
1890s Saxony Apartments Today
The Saxony Apartments were constructed in 1891 and was designed by Samuel Hannaford. This building was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in March of 1980. Located on the Southwest corner of Ninth and Race when the block of Ninth Street between Vine & Race was added to the Register as the Ninth Street Historic District the Saxony Apartments were named as part of the district.
Alameda Apts. Alexandria Apts. 921 E. William H. Taft Road
The Alexandria Apartments were built in 1904 at the corner of Gilbert Ave. and Locust St. in Walnut Hills. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places on October 17, 1997. The last two images above are photographs.
Arcadia Apts. Belvedere Apts. 3900 Rose Ave.
The Belvedere was one of the first luxury apartment buildings in Cincinnati. The high rise was constructed in North Avondale in 1925 at 3900 Rose Ave. The apartment units originally featured up to 6 bedrooms, as well as separate servantsí quarters. Most residents had maids and drivers. The Belvedere apartments were converted into condominiums in the 1980s and many were divided into 2 and 3-bedroom units to make them more affordable and practical. The last image above is a recent photograph of the Belvedere Apts.
Betz Apts. Crescent Apts. Reading Road & South Crescent Ave.
The 3rd non-postcard image above shows the apartment building as it looks today.
Haddon Hall Apts. These are not postcards
Haddon Hall was built in the late 1890s at 2415 Reading Road and was built by Thomas Emery's Sons. Emery's was the first company in Cincinnati engaged in the construction of apartment buildings. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places on July 22, 1982.
Park Apts. 2378-2384 Park Avenue
Park Flats was constructed in 1904 and was added to the National Register of Historical Places on September 8, 1983. The 2nd & 3rd images above are photographs.
Same building-same card-different names Elberon & W. 8th Sts.
Robinson Apts. Elberon Apts. These are not postcards
Roslyn Apts. South Warwick Apts. North Warwick Apts.
San Marco Apartments corner Woodburn & Madison Ave. The 3rd image shows the building as it looks today.
St. Leger Apts. Woodburn & St. Leger
The St. Leger Apartments still exist (see 2nd non-postcard image).
Verona Apartments built in 1900 Walnut Hills Now
Fontbonne Residence for girls 425 E. 5th Street
Cafeteria Kitchen Lobby Chapel
Park Lane Apts. Manor House The Edgecliff The Hammond North
4201 Victory Pkwy. 3855 Ledgewood Dr. 2200 Victory Pkwy. 5300 Hamilton Ave.
River Terrace 2401 Ingleside Ave.
The two images on the right above is a sketch by Caroline Williams showing the River Terrace and a log cabin that is near the apartment building.
Woodmere Lakeshore Drive Apts. Mont Michel
Roundtop Rd. & Colerain 1 Lakeshore Drive 688 Riddle Road
Scott Kabakoff card