These three cards are Massey's Hotel and Restaurant located on the n.w. corner of Eighth and Race
I am guessing this is at the Mayflower at Oak & Reading The Colony on Walnut
Pearl Street Market Avondale Between 4th and 5th sts.
between 2nd & 3rd Sts.
Manhattan at 17 W. 5th St. Owner-L. C. Riggs
The Manhattan Restaurant was originally known as the Riggs Restaurant. A employee of the Riggs, George W. Berger, bought the business around 1906 and renamed it the Manhattan Restaurant. It became a very large concern employing over 250 men and women including over 25 chefs and bakers. The Manhattan served over 10,000 people daily. The drawing above is somewhat mis-leading and must have been drawn just when the transfer of ownership was taking place.
These cards are of the Wheel Cafe on Walnut near 6th. Meyer Silverglade
The drawing shows Meyer Silverglade who was 1/2 owner of the Wheel Cafe and the owner of the Hub around the corner at 42 E. 5th Street. He was also director of the Peoples Bank.
Wong Yies had 2 places, at 6th & Main and 6th & Walnut
All three of these cards show Caproni's at 610 Main Street.
Sunset Inn Harrison Harrison Pike and New Haven Road
Front of cards below
Grafton's 7314 Montgomery Road, Silverton Grammer's 1440 Walnut St. Martinelli's
Dick Porfidio's Wishing Well Amity & Reading Rds. Boteff's Glenmore & Applegate Aves. 10122 Reading Rd. Evendale
The front of all the cards above are identical, obviously these are part of a set possibly put out by the Cincinnati Times-Star although I really don't see a newspaper doing something like this.
Arrowhead Inn Mills Restaurant at 31-39 E.4th Street College Hill Grill
5907 Hamilton Ave.
Located in Branch Hill (south of Loveland) the Arrowhead Inn (Club) was an illegal casino back when it opened and was run by Joseph Bauer, Sam Nason, and Harold Nason. It was the forerunner to Beverly Hills and The Lookout House and the first of the areas big Supper Clubs with gambling. Opened sometime in the early 30s big name entertainers and gambling was available in plush surroundings. The county prosecutor ordered the club to close down in 1937 but was ignored. The prosecutor led the raid himself that closed the club down for good and all the equipment was confiscated. The Nasons controlled Elmwood and Southern Ohio gambling and reached into Northern Kentucky gambling for the Cleveland Syndicate from 1932-1951. The Arrowhead Apartments now occupy the site at 800 Arrowhead Trail.
Porfidio's Chester's Road House The Twins Rib House
198 Reading Road OTR 9678 Montgomery Road 3807 North Bend Road
Matthews Restaurants Emery Arcade & 108 W. 7th St.
Luau Smorgasbord The Colonnade Windjammer Maisonette
126 East 6th St. Central Trust Tower 11330 Chester Road Cincinnati's only 5 star
Old Vienna Shuller's Wigwam Sycamore Shores La Ronde Restaurant
9th & Plum 6210 Hamilton Ave. Floating Restaurant 8001 Reading Road
College Hill 7455 Forbes Road Reading
Johnny Bench's Home Plate Ted Kluszewski's Steak House Captain Al's
Northgate Mall Five Locations 4332 River Road
Riverside (Anderson Ferry)
North Bend Station Cliff View House in North Bend
Cliff View House was reached by the Cliff Road seen in the North Bend Station card above. This road also led to Harrison's Tomb and was one of the reasons the restaurant was built. It was thought that the tomb would be a strong tourist attraction which, unfortunately, it never was. The restaurant did not survive the depression. Cliff Road is now known as Congress Green Drive.
Double card of Ohio River taken from Cliff View House.
Dragon Inn- Swifton Shopping Center
and Florence Kentucky (view on card)
*Thanks to Scott Kabakoff
Music Palace Restaurant. 400 Yorkhaven Dr., Springdale
*Thanks to Frank Peel
The Music Palace Restaurant shown in the cards above burned down in June of 1992. A new restaurant was built on Chester Road in Sharonville and opened in the Fall of 1997. The restaurant features some of the greatest organists from this part of the country.
TO SEE MORE RESTAURANT CARDS