The building in
the first three cards was located on the s. w. corner of Seventh and Sycamore Sts.
next to where the present day St. Xavier Church stands, the third card shows
this very nicely. This school, which
opened on October 17, 1831 was the first Catholic institution of higher learning
in the Northwest Territory. It was originally called the College of the
Athenaeum of Cincinnati. Bishop John B. Purcell offered the Athenaeum and the
adjacent St. Peter the Apostle Church to the Jesuits. They accepted and upon
arriving in Cincinnati in 1840 rededicated both institutions to St. Francis
Xavier, their patron saint. St. Xavier opened with 16 students on November 3.
I put up the third card to demonstrate something that occurred quite often, which was the misprinting of the descriptions on the cards. Almost all postcards printed in this era were printed in Germany and information about the cards sometimes were mixed up, and the Germans would not know if what they were printing was right or not. Of course the start of WWI was one of the major reasons for the decline in postcard collecting.
Not a postcard
On July 31, 1911 Father Henry Moeller, who was then the schools president, approved the purchase of 26 acres owned by the Avondale Athletic Club. On January 5, 1912 the school transferred its' 87 students to the old clubhouse and renamed it Xavier Hall. The building above was still being used as St. Xavier High School. It was torn down in 1960 after the high school moved to its present location on North Bend Road in Finneytown. After much construction Xavier College became Xavier University on August 4, 1930.
Four overhead views of the campus.
These cards are all self-explanatory
Newer cards of Xavier
University Center Building College of Business Adm.
The Karl L. Alter Classroom Building Hinkle Hall Brockman Hall
Football Stadium Paul O'Connor St. Robert Bellarmine Chapel The McDonald Memorial
Sports Center Library
O'Brien Terrace leading The Walter E. Schott The Shrine of Our Lady The Thomas J. Logan D'Artagnan Statue
to Hinkle Hall Memorial Building Chemistry Building Musketeer Plaza
Large 5 1/2 by 8 1/2 card
OUR LADY OF
Founded by The Sisters of Mercy in 1935 in the buildings previously used by the College of the Sacred Heart, which had closed that year, in Walnut Hills at 2220 Victory Parkway. It was on top of a hill overlooking the Ohio River and Kentucky. The 3 story building built in 1831 was called Edgecliff and had been the residence of Thomas and Mary Emery. Judge Lawrence Maxwell house was bought and renamed McAuley Hall. Another home was bought and turned into a library. The administration building was constructed in 1937-38. The college formally adopted the name Edgecliff in 1969. Male students were admitted in 1970 and the old L. B. Harrison Club Hotel was acquired for housing and athletic facilities. Failing enrollment caused Xavier University to assume the operation of the campus.
Large Postcard Ohio River From College
Brennan Memorial Library Library on left Sullivan Hall Lounge
Grace Hall background
Large 5 1/2" X 8 3/4" card
The postcard above shows the Edgecliff College
buildings left center and the tall building to their right is called the
Edgecliff Apartments. at 2220 Victory Parkway.
The university purchased the 8 building campus in 1983. In 1987 the property was sold to land developers. The Emery home was razed, to much public anger, but the University of Cincinnati disclosed plans to relocate its O.M.I. College of Applied Science to some of these buildings. See photograph below. On November 11, 1977 the four buildings comprising Edgecliff College was added to the National Register of Historic Places as a Historic Group. They are now referred to as the UC Victory Parkway Campus.
HEBREW UNION COLLEGE
Located at 2849 Clifton Avenue across the Street from Burnet Woods, Hebrew Union College-Jewish Institute of Religion, (HUC-JIR) is the oldest Jewish theological school in the country. Founded by Isaac Mayer Wise in 1875, he was president of the institution until his death in 1900. The first classes were held in the vestry rooms of the Plum and Mound Street Temples. The college moved to a one time residence at 6th and Cutter streets in 1881, seen in the next photo.
In 1905 land was purchased in Clifton Heights and construction was begun. The first buildings opened in 1913. The college was chartered by the State of Ohio in 1927. There are two divisions to the school: the college proper and the teachers institute, devoted to the preparation of teachers for religious schools around the world. It is affiliated with the University of Cincinnati. The third card shows the addition of newer structures that were added in 1960 & 1965.
Dr. Isaac M. Wise
Library Gymnasium Administration Building Dormitory
18th Century Spice Box
Glendale College was located at the northwest corner of Laurel and Sharon Avenues.
Girl's College Glendale Milton H. Berry School
7783 Reading Road
1947 Graduation Class General Motors Training Center
Poro School of Beauty 10100 Reading Road
PULTE MEDICAL COLLEGE
1872 College Rebuilt College
The Pulte Homeopathic Medical College opened in 1872 at 7th & Mound St. In 1910 they merged with Cleveland and became the Cleveland-Pulte Medical College. In 1914 the college then merged with Ohio State University in Columbus and became the Ohio State University College of Homeopathic Medicine. Sometime in this time frame a fire occurred on the top floor of the original structure. The building was rebuilt with the addition of a 4th floor. Also during this time frame, they moved out and the Ohio College of Dental Surgery moved in.
Ohio College of Dental Surgery
7th and Mound Streets
The Ohio College of Dental Surgery started out in 1845 as the 2nd private dental college in the world. The first building was located at 27 College St. between 6th & 7th., (College was a one block street located between Race & Vine Sts.). In 1887 it became affiliated with the University of Cincinnati. Before they moved in to the building above, they are shown as being on the n.e.c. of Court & Central and the first mention of their being at 7th & Mound is in 1913. They closed in 1926.
ECLECTIC MEDICAL COLLEGE
Eclectic Medical Institute 1846 Institute in 1871 College in 1910 Sigma Theda Fraternity
The school operated at the NW. corner of Court and Plum Sts. until
1901, when it moved to 6th and Mound Sts. It then moved to 630 W. 6th St.
in 1910 assuming the name Eclectic Medical College. The school closed in 1939.
The first two images above are not postcards.
The Eclectic Medical College was an outgrowth of the Worthington Medical College in Worthington, Ohio begun in 1830. That school closed in 1839 after the citizens of Worthington learned that the occupants of the local cemetery were turning up on the dissecting tables of the medical school.
In 1845 it reappeared in Cincinnati as the Eclectic Medical Institute. The Eclectics believed in specific diagnosis and specific medication; in the use of plant medication to an extent greatly exceeding that ever attempted by other schools; in complete academic as well as professional education for medical students; and in "the ethics that govern gentlemen."
Cincinnati Law School Next to Phoenix Club. 21 West Ninth Street. (See Clubs Page)
Started in 1833 this is where William Howard Taft graduated. One of its instructors was Civil War general Manning Ferguson Force, commander of the 20th Ohio Volunteer infantry and recipient of the Army Medal of Honor after being severely wounded in the battle for Atlanta Campaign.
OHIO MILITARY INSTITUTE
Freeman Grant Cary, eldest son of William Cary began a boarding school for boys at 5651 Hamilton Avenue that was known as Cary's Academy. The name was soon changed to Pleasant Hill Academy and was moved to a new building at the corner of Hamilton & Belmont. By 1845 the school had outgrown this structure and so plans were made for the construction of Farmer's College. This was not a college for farming, but a college that was built by farmers so that a new generation of Americans could be educated. It was built on land bought from or donated by William Cary. In the 1850's a 87 acre model farm was added to the college directly across what is now Belmont Ave. Freeman Cary resigned the presidency of the college to direct the farm. In 1858 Cary resigned from the college staff. Later that year it became apparent that the college could not pay its bills and began to accept women students. They also began a school for teachers hoping to increase enrollment. The farm was sold in the 1860s to generate revenue. The name was changed to Belmont College and enrollment increased but it remained in financial trouble. In 1887 the president at that time, Philip van Ness Myers suggested that the college become a military high school. Meyers left the college after 11 years as president to join the staff at U.C. The new president, Robert Hamilton Bishop was an abolitionist and the college soon became a station on the Underground Railroad.
Football Squad Study Room
The Ohio Military Institute began in 1890 and was located At 5553 Belmont Avenue in College Hill on the land of the old Farmers' College. The only building remaining of the college was the original building known as Cary Hall. The school constructed a new building, Belmont Hall, beside it and later added a gym, parade grounds and another hall. The Institute operated for 68 years, sending boys to Annapolis and West Point plus colleges and universities around the country. .
This card shows a room that has a pennant on the wall for the Nelson Business College which was on the corner of 7th and Elm Sts. A written note on the back states the room is at 1311 Elm St. which is one block North of the Music Hall. With the violin on his bed and with him holding a trumpet I believe he was actually going to the Cincinnati College of Music next door to the Music Hall. This was taken in 1911.
Marietta College Club
The Marietta College Club of Cincinnati started in 1855 making it the oldest college club in the entire west. It consists of graduates of Marietta living in Cincinnati and vicinity. Also those who have honorary degrees or even those who had attended classes or have been donors of funds to the college are eligible to honorary membership. This card is ca. 1917.