Hospitals

 


Not a postcard
Hospitals.jpg (1232568 bytes)
Many of the hospitals
in the area.

BETHESDA  HOSPITAL

  The Bethesda Oak Hospital was started in 1898 by seven German Methodist deaconesses-women who had chosen the religious life and service to Methodist institutions-staffed the hospital. The 4 story Deaconess building you see to the right in a couple of the cards was built in 1917 and was used to house the women working at the hospital. Over the ensuing years older buildings have been demolished to make room for newer structures. A satellite hospital, Bethesda North opened in Montgomery in 1970.

Bethesda Hospital-1.jpg (117285 bytes)    Bethesda Hospital-2.jpg (110151 bytes)    Bethesda Hospital var.jpg (269962 bytes)    Bethesda Hospital-3.jpg (113671 bytes)    Bethesda Hospital-4.jpg (129851 bytes)

 

Bethesda Hospital-5.jpg (117982 bytes)           Bethesda Hospital-6.jpg (138235 bytes)            Bethesda Hospital-7.jpg (113042 bytes)           Bethesda Hospital-8.jpg (96064 bytes)

 

Bethesda Maternity Hospital.jpg (347286 bytes)            Bethesda Hospital-9.jpg (132698 bytes)            Bethesda Hospital-10.jpg (112356 bytes)            Bethesda Hospital-13.jpg (132115 bytes)
Maternity Hospital                                                                                                                                                                              

 

Dorcas Institute.jpg (221112 bytes)
The Dorcas Institute

   Begun in 1910 The Dorcas Institute is the Bethesda training school for deaconess women learning the nursing profession.

 

BETTS  STREET  HOSPITAL
AKA  ST.  MARY'S  HOSPITAL

   Located on the northwest corner of Betts and Linn Streets this hospital was a 4 story brick building with 325 beds. It was established in 1858 by the Sisters of the Poor of St. Francis. Taking care of the residents in the west end, it was second among local hospitals in the number of emergency cases handled. 

    St. Mary's Hospital RPPC.jpg (357217 bytes)        St Mary's Hospital-1.jpg (103643 bytes)        St Mary's Hospital-2.jpg (122280 bytes)   

 

Chapel St. Mary's Hospital.jpg (233644 bytes)        Chapel St Marys Presbytery.jpg (939313 bytes)        St Mary's Hospital-x-ray Dept.jpg (106606 bytes)
                                      Chapel                                                          X-ray Department

 

Betts Street Hospital.jpg (84184 bytes)

 

BRANCH  HOSPITAL

Branch Hospital-1.jpg (89189 bytes)    Branch Hospital.jpg (89340 bytes)    Camp Life-Branch Hosp.jpg (100485 bytes)    Dunham Hospital 1952.jpg (306086 bytes)    Open Air School.jpg (109949 bytes)
                                                                                                                                                Dunham Hospital                 Open air school

  This institution was established in 1897 as the first municipally owned tuberculosis sanatorium in the United States. Situated on 150 acres above Lick Run Valley on Guerley Road. From 1927 to 1945 it was called the Hamilton County Tuberculosis Sanatorium. In 1945 it was renamed Dunham Hospital in honor of Dr. Henry Kennon Dunham who had served, without pay, as medical director from 1909 to 1940. The last card  shows an  open air school for children with tuberculosis. I am just guessing that it was located at the Branch Hospital (If anyone knows, please let me know). In winter this school was obviously very cold. It now turns out that this MIGHT be the school pictured in the non-postcard image below. This school called the Clifton Open Air School was started by Mrs. Helen Lotspeich. She was an enthusiast of fresh air and its presumed beneficial effects on health. She always kept the windows wide open and there were no heaters installed at all. In 1930 a new school was opened that had heat but the windows were still kept open.

Clifton Open Air School.jpg (428814 bytes)
Open air school

 

CHILDREN'S  HOSPITAL

  This hospital stood where Christ Hospitals nurses home now stands at Eleanor Place near Mason St. in Mt Auburn. The hospital opened on November 23, 1887. In 1928 it moved into the newer structure you see in the last 3 cards which is located at Elland and Bethesda Avenues. It is now considered to be the largest facility of its kind in the nation with a staff of about 2,500 and a budget of more the $65,000,000. It is affiliated with the Medical College of the University of Cincinnati. The hospital is an institution of the Protestant Episcopal Church. Vincent Hall in the second card is the nurses home. Named in honor of Bishop Boyd Vincent William C. Proctor, of Proctor & Gamble, donated $250,000 for its construction.

Episcopal Childrens Hospital.jpg (124548 bytes)        Childrens Hospital-Vincent Hall.jpg (132850 bytes)        Childrens Hospital-.jpg (142259 bytes)        Childrens Hosp. RP.jpg (582349 bytes)

 

Childrens Hosp-RP.jpg (176534 bytes)        Children's Hospital.jpg (288858 bytes)
                                                    Newer Card

 

These are not postcards
Childrens Hospital-North entrance.jpg (235685 bytes)        Childrens Hospital-South side.jpg (262053 bytes)
North side                                South side

 

CHRIST  HOSPITAL

  The structure you see in the first half was constructed in 1856 for the nationally famous finishing school for girls, Mount Auburn Young ladies Institute. It is located at 2139 Auburn Avenue. The Christ Hospital and Elizabeth Gamble Deaconess Home moved here from the West End in 1893. The larger 10 story building with two wings was erected in 1930. The school of nursing graduated its first class in 1903.

Christ Hospital-1.jpg (133618 bytes)        Christ Hospital-aa.jpg (126886 bytes)        Christ Hospital-3.jpg (137296 bytes)        Christ Hospital-bwwb.jpg (251472 bytes)

 

Christ Hospital-fe.jpg (179765 bytes)        Christ Hospital-2.jpg (135751 bytes)        Christ Hospital-4.jpg (92923 bytes)        Christ Hospital approach.jpg (199354 bytes)
                                               Nurses Home                   Hospital / Nurses Home             Approach to Hospital
                                                     Rear View

 

Christ Hospital-ac.jpg (135225 bytes)        Christ Hospital-winter2.jpg (302776 bytes)        Christ Exterior n1.jpg (265255 bytes)        Christ Hospital-Parking Lot.jpg (288506 bytes)
2 Winter Views                                                                                                            

 

Christ Hospital-5.jpg (131476 bytes)        Christ Hospital-6.jpg (125303 bytes)        Christ Hospital-7.jpg (98180 bytes)        Christ Hospital-8.jpg (80650 bytes)
Nurses Home                       Nurses Home Rear                    Nurses Home Parlor                                            

 

        Christ Hospital-10.jpg (111276 bytes)        Christ Hospital-9.jpg (108174 bytes)        Christ Hospital-ab.jpg (100741 bytes)

 

Christ Hospital-12.jpg (113410 bytes)        Christ Hospital-11.jpg (105855 bytes)        Christ Hospital-Womens Ward.jpg (121105 bytes)      *The Industries--Christ Hospital.jpg (92722 bytes)
Babies Ward                            Children's Ward                        Women's Ward                            The Industries

 

Christ Hospital-14.jpg (123129 bytes)    Christ Hospital-ae.jpg (121400 bytes)    Christ Hospital-13.jpg (111728 bytes)    Christ Hospital-15.jpg (124304 bytes)    Christ Hospital-16.jpg (112543 bytes)

 

Christ Hospital-17.jpg (119046 bytes)            Christ Hospital extra long.jpg (174818 bytes)        Christ Hospital long.jpg (903262 bytes)
                                                           Extra long cards

 

FOR  MORE  HOSPITALS