Hotels 3

 


GRAND  HOTEL

   Noted for its "direct-acting hydraulic passenger elevator" with a 90' shaft. Located on the s. w. corner of 4th and Central, across the street from the Union Central Railroad Depot. It had 285 rooms and it's lifespan was from 1874 to 1933. In 1876 the Republican National Convention was held here. Rutherford B. Hayes won the nomination and addressed the convention from the lobby stairway. The 2nd row of  non-postcards images all show the lobby.

Grand Hotel.jpg (298526 bytes)                    The Grand Hotel.jpg (226255 bytes)

Grand Hotel Lobby.jpg (66952 bytes)        Grand Hotel Lobby01.jpg (64998 bytes)        Grand Hotel.jpg (201277 bytes)        The Rotunda, Grand Hotel.jpg (295276 bytes)
Not postcards

 

Grand Hotel 1.jpg (128450 bytes)    Grand Hotel 2.jpg (88497 bytes)    Grand Hotel 3.jpg (109393 bytes)    Grand Hotel-ab.jpg (98410 bytes)    Grand Hotel-ac.jpg (108391 bytes)

 

Grand Hotel-ad.jpg (120700 bytes)        Grand Hotel-ae.jpg (133045 bytes)        Grand Hotel-af.jpg (95780 bytes)        Grand Hotel-ag.jpg (123103 bytes)

 

Grand Hotel interior 1.jpg (112416 bytes)        Grand Hotel interior 2.jpg (136625 bytes)          Grand Hotel-aa.jpg (123171 bytes)          Grand Hotel interior 3.jpg (111306 bytes)
All four cards show the lobby

 

Grand Hotel vert 1.jpg (104106 bytes)

 

EMERY  HOTEL

Hotel Emery 1.jpg (96252 bytes)               Hotel Emery 2.jpg (125725 bytes)        Hotel Emery 3.jpg (78486 bytes)        Hotel Emery 4.jpg (89745 bytes)
Vine St. between 4th & 5th Sts.                                    These three cards show the lobby                                    

 

Emery Arcade 1.jpg (118046 bytes)    Emery Arcade 2.jpg (114309 bytes)    Emery Arcade 3.jpg (127767 bytes)    Emery Arcade 4.jpg (168104 bytes)

  These four cards show the Emery Arcade which connected the Emery Hotel and Race Street one block west. Built in 1877 it predated shopping malls with stores, offices, a restaurant, and hotel all under one roof. The glass roof was 40 feet in height, with two stories on each side The arcade passageway was 15 feet wide with gaslights hung in the center. This arcade was destroyed in 1929 to make way for the Carew Tower and its new arcade which is still in use today.

 

ST. NICHOLAS HOTEL

St Nicholas hotel 1.jpg (114985 bytes)        St Nicholas Hotel.jpg (230828 bytes)        St Nicholas hotel 2.jpg (104739 bytes)        St Nicholas hotel 3.jpg (103974 bytes)

 

E.N.Roth-St.Nicholas Hotel.jpg (275280 bytes)        Edward N. Roth President St. Nicholas.jpg (57901 bytes)
Edward  N. Roth President

   Located on the s. e. corner of 4th and Race from 1865 to 1911. This is the hotel where, in 1903, August "Garry" Herrmann, President of the Cincinnati Reds, hosted American and National League owners. All the professional clubs were in a "war" with each other over competition for fans, players, and franchises. Herrmann kept them there until agreements were reached on territories, rights to players, uniform playing rules, and non-conflicting schedules.

 

STAG  HOTEL / CAFE / BAR

                                                                                                  These are not postcards
Stag Hotel 1.jpg (106600 bytes)            Stag Hotel 2.jpg (118008 bytes)            Stag Cafe-1915.jpg (46109 bytes)            Stag Hotel.jpg (134767 bytes)
Located on the east side of Vine between 4th and 5th Streets.

  For more information on the Stag complex go to the 2nd page in the Taverns section.

 

L. B. HARRISON  CLUB  HOTEL

   The first image below is the first L. B. Harrison Club Hotel that was opened April 14, 1914. The 5-story building was located at 540-542  W. Seventh Street and was named after Learner Blackman Harrison in whose memory his seven children created the hotel. Blackman was founder and later. president of the First National Bank of Cincinnati and was a leading figure in the establishment of the Cincinnati Observatory, Art Academy, Art Museum, and Zoo.
   This was "A home for the young man away from home" with rooms from $3.50 to $7.00/week including 3 meals a day. The 225 room hotel had a library, billiard room, and showers. Rent was paid by the honor system. Everyone paid what they could afford and they reported any raise they would get so that his rent could be raised appropriately.
   An annex was erected in 1915 that contained a pool and later, in 1917, a gymnasium and soon the hotel had amateur and semi-pro sports teams. The athletic teams were led by W. O. "Doc" Wakestraw who believed in clean living combined with sports. He would regularly scout nearby colleges to recruit basketball players to come live at the hotel after graduation. By 1922 the LBH basketball team had won the city basketball championship 5 times.
   Determined to build strength of character they had a strict 11.00 P.M. curfew and had rules like: "Have your gym suit washed once in a while" and do not associate with anyone who would not be good company to take home to your mother or sister.
   The area soon became more crowded and a less desirable place to live and a new club-hotel was built in Walnut Hills. The new 6-story building opened  on April 20, 1930 at 2368 Victory Parkway at McMillan Street (2nd image below). The old building was taken over by Union Bethel until 1942 when it was turned into a hotel for blacks. 
   Low rates continued at the Harrison, it was only $18.00 a week in 1964, but the residential club had become outdated, vacancies increased and, finally, it closed. 
    Neighboring Edgecliff College bought the building and turned it into a dormitory known as Harrison Hall. It was again sold in 1981 and after remodeling it was turned into an office building with a pool, sauna, and exercise facilities for the tenants.

These are not postcards    
L.B. Harrison lub Hotel.jpg (94678 bytes)        LB Harrison Hotel.jpg (49288 bytes)        L.B.Harrison Hotel today.jpg (259570 bytes)
    1st Hotel                               2nd Hotel                            Building Today

L.B. Harrison Residents.jpg (273429 bytes)
Real Photo Postcard
Residents of the hotel.

LB Harrison 1 vert.jpg (70390 bytes)                  LB Harrison 1 .jpg (101578 bytes)      LB Harrison 2 .jpg (94361 bytes)      LB Harrison 3 .jpg (85365 bytes)

L B Harrison-lobby.jpg (70943 bytes)    LB Harrison 4 .jpg (67671 bytes)    LB Harrison 5 .jpg (64424 bytes)    L.B. Harrison Club Gym. 2.jpg (236156 bytes)    LB Harrison 6 .jpg (59250 bytes)
      Lobby                              Dining Room                                                  Gymnasium                                             Reception Room  

L.B. Harrison Pool.jpg (221109 bytes)    Billard Room Hotel Harrison.jpg (398446 bytes)    L.B.Harrison Billiard Room.jpg (270943 bytes)    L.B. Harrison Lounge.jpg (272252 bytes)    L.B. Harrison Bed Room.jpg (219065 bytes)
Swimming Pool                                               Billiard Room                                                  Lounge                               Bed Room      

L. B. Harrison Club Library,.jpg (134366 bytes)*        LB Harrison-Writing Room.jpg (74198 bytes)
              Library                          Library & Writing Room

 

SEVENTH  AVENUE  HOTEL

Seventh Avenue Hotel.jpg (659538 bytes)
S.W.C. 7th & Vine Sts.

 

 AVENUE HOTEL            WALDO  HOTEL           IMPERIAL HOTEL

Avenue Hotel 1.jpg (102872 bytes)            Waldo Hotel-Loveland.jpg (54895 bytes)            Imperial Hotel 1.jpg (125994 bytes)
3123 Spring Grove Ave.                       Jackson Street                          n. e. cor. 3rd & central
                                                  Loveland                                           Bar

 

DENNISON HOTEL

Not a postcard                                                                    
Dennison House 5th & Sycamore Greyhound.jpg (320972 bytes)                    Dennison hotel 1.jpg (86881 bytes)
2nd Hotel at 5th & Main                                         Lobby                 

    M.E.Shinkle-Dennison Hotel.jpg (165177 bytes)        Dennison Hotel 1.jpg (1718190 bytes)  Dennison Hotel.jpg (1177265 bytes)  Dennison Hotel 2.jpg (618645 bytes)
    M. E. Shinkle                                                        3 non postcard images                                   

   In all the years that I have been collecting postcards I have never seen any other image of the Dennison Hotel except variations on the lobby of the 5th & Main Hotel you see in the 2nd image above. To compensate for this lack I have posted 4 non-postcard images to help explain the hotel. The present day building, seen in the 2nd row, was built in 1890 as an ironworks and was converted into the hotel in 1932. This is actually the 3rd version of the Dennison. The first hotel was opened in 1817 at 5th & Western Row (now Central Avenue) by William Dennison. Williams son William Dennison Jr. was the governor of Ohio during the Civil War. In 1822 the hotel moved to 5th & Main Sts. This structure was also known as the Merchant's Hotel. It was torn down in 1932 and replaced by the present day building.
   In recent years the building was used as a low income, single-room residence. In 2011 an $11 million redevelopment was begun to convert the building into The Ironworks Apartments.

 

BROADWAY 

Broadway Hotel-aa.jpg (127827 bytes)        Broadway Hotel 1.jpg (117931 bytes)        Broadway Hotel n3.jpg (545886 bytes)        Broadway Hotel-Foil.jpg (402271 bytes)
                               4th & Broadway                                                   Silver Foil

 

  STERLING  

Sterling Hotel 1.jpg (75621 bytes)        Sterling Hotel.jpg (77178 bytes)        Cotton Club (1).jpg (152923 bytes)        Cotton Club (2).jpg (244096 bytes)
    6th & Mound 

   The Sterling Hotel housed the only integrated nightclub in Cincinnati the Cotton Club. The club was host to hundreds of famous black orchestras and the rooms at the Sterling was usually booked solid. Band members were refused entry at any downtown hotels and usually stayed in Walnut Hills at the Manse Hotel. The 4th image taken in 1945 shows the house band being lead by Chris Perkins. Radio station WFBE would broadcast the big name acts on 1200 AM. WFBE would become WCPO in 1935. Only the 1st image is a postcard.

 

COLUMBIAN            MILNER    

Columbian Hotel 1.jpg (107307 bytes)             Milner Hotel 1.jpg (95607 bytes)
Elm & Longworth                  27 w. 7th St.     

 

                      PLAZA HOTEL                              RAND HOTEL                REGAL HOTEL     

Plaza Hotel 1.jpg (68068 bytes)    Plaza Lobby.jpg (295337 bytes)        Rand Hotel 1.jpg (98088 bytes)            Regal hotel 1.jpg (72496 bytes)
opp. Union Station                  Color Version                       29 west 5th street.                             6th and Vine        

 

THE  SHERIDAN                                                     SAVOY HOTEL                                     

The Sheridan.jpg (119083 bytes)                Savoy Hotel 1.jpg (69552 bytes)    Savoy Hotel Bar.jpg (297649 bytes)    Hotel Savoy.jpg (213227 bytes)
                                                                  6th St. near Vine

   The Sheridan building is located at 21 east Eighth St.  During the Civil War Thomas Buchanan Read lived there and it was known as the Read House. A poet and painter Read (1822-1872) was very popular in his day and although his poems are little read today he is best  remembered for his poem "Sheridan's Ride," which was inspired by the victory of the Union forces at Cedar Creek. A plaque on the building notes this fact. His most famous painting is the Harp of Erin and is on permanent display at the Cincinnati Art Museum.

 

FOUNTAIN  SQUARE  HOTEL

Fountain Square Hotel 1.jpg (139876 bytes)        Ft Sq Hotel-ab.jpg (110543 bytes)        Ft Sq Hotel-ac.jpg (105169 bytes)        Ft Sq Hotel-aa.jpg (137820 bytes)
 Hotel Fountain Square             Pick-Fountain Square  

   The Fountain Square Hotel (later known as the Pick-Fountain Square Hotel) was located on the East side of Vine Street between 4th and 5th Streets. There was an alley bisecting the block called Church Place and the hotel was located on the north side of this alley. Built in 1927 it was probably torn down in the mid-seventies.

 

STOUFFER'S

Stouffers double.jpg (1030488 bytes)                                    Stouffer's Cincinnati Towers.jpg (282541 bytes)
Extra wide card. Convention Center on left.                                       Cincinnati Towers  

   When then new convention center was under construction the city of Cincinnati realized that new and renovated hotels were essential to accommodate the many visitors that would be coming. Stouffer's Cincinnati Inn seen in the first wide postcard was the first new downtown hotel built. Opening in 1968 at 5th and Elm Sts. it was the 1st hotel opened since the Terrace Plaza had opened, one block east, in 1948. The second card above, with the convention center in the lower right corner, looking southeast shows the hotel after the second tower of the complex was constructed in 1975 at 141 W. 6th St. The complex was then called Stouffer's Cincinnati Towers. The two buildings are connected by the lobby. The ownership of these two buildings have changed several times since they were first constructed.

Clarion Hotel-chrome.jpg (789310 bytes)        Clarion-141 W.6th St..jpg (310129 bytes)
                               Clarion Interior

 I probably do not have the sequence correct but, I believe, it was next called the Clarion Hotel and then the Regal Hotel. I believe, about 5 years ago,  the newer tower on 6th St. was called the Millennium Cincinnati Hotel and the other building on 5th St. was called the Four Points Sheraton. They both then became the Millennium Hotel.

Hotel1.jpg (222176 bytes)        Hotel2.jpg (211754 bytes)        Hotel3.jpg (175787 bytes)

   The 3 non-postcards images above are a little bonus to help you orient where this hotel is located. The first two are very nice aerial shots of downtown Cincinnati. This hotel is located next to the large white rectangular structure (half of the convention center)/ The 3rd photo shows the view looking out from the east side of Stouffer's Cincinnati Towers (now known as the Millennium Hotel). The orange building directly ahead is the hotel formerly known as the Terrace Plaza/Hilton Hotel seen on the Plaza Hotel page.

 

FOR  MORE  HOTELS

 

 

louis vuitton outlet louis vuitton outlet coach outlet online cheap jordan shoes michael kors outlet online sport blue 3s michael kors uk sport blue 6s jordan 6 sport blue kate spade outlet jordan 3 sport blue coach outlet online michael kors outlet sport blue 6s lebron 12 sport blue 3s michael kors outlet kate spade diaper bag Lebron 11 wolf grey 3s