ANNA LOUISE INN
Located next to Lytle Park at 3rd and Pike this building was constructed in 1909 as a residence for young working women. The original structure contained 120 single rooms but it proved to be so popular that it was later added to so that it now contains 285 single rooms, sitting rooms on each floor, and a large drawing room. When it was first opened no girl was allowed to live there if they earned more than $10 a week. The price of room and board varied from $2.75 to $4.50 a week depending on the rooms location and how much the girl made a week. The inn also contained a laundry, a sewing room, and a roof garden. The Union Bethel that was located across 3rd Street was the organization that was responsible for the construction of the building. and the inn was named after the daughter of the principle donors, Mr. and Mrs. Charles P. Taft.
10 View Court Mt. Auburn
Glencoe-Auburn Hotel and Glencoe-Auburn Place Row Houses is a registered historic district and was listed in the National Register of Historic Places on December 10, 2003. It contains 54 contributing buildings. The complex was constructed between 1884 and 1891. The present day photo on the right above shows what the area in the 1st card looks like today.
& GLENCOE-AUBURN PLACE ROW HOUSES
The photograph above is looking westward down Glencoe
Place, the Glencoe-Auburn Place Row Houses built in 1884-1891, are on both
sides of the street. The buildings are divided up into single story apartments.
They are boarded up in the area refered to as "The Hole" (located east
of Inwood Park on Vine St.) The area has been refered to by several names. The
Glencoe Hotel. Little Bethlehem. The Standish Apartments. The Glencoe Place
Redevelopment Project, and The Hole. These structure received the Historic
designation due to their being fine examples of a vintage architectural style
conforming to Cincinnati's hilly topography.
In the 1900's Mt. Auburn's fortunes declined. Residents went from upper to middle to lower class. It went from Little Bethlehem (because it is in the shadow of Christ Hospital's cross) to The Hole. In 1964 the residents staged Cincinnati's first rent strike, protesting the filthy conditions. The hotel and row houses were renovated in the 70s. The 1990s featured another decline to their now boarded up status. There were plans to turn them into condos but that fell thru. Demolition was begun on March 13, 2013.
Located at 6880 Wooster Pike in the Village of Mariemont the Inn was built in 1925 initially as the office space for the Mariemont Company (company responsible for the construction of the city of Mariemont) which included the rental and sales department. In September 1926 the Engineering dept. moved in. The Mariemont Inn opened for business on April 13, 1929. Flowers were dropped from an airplane onto the Inn during the opening. The Mariemont Company operated the Inn with their own manager for a time. Later outside hotel men took over the management. In 1945 the Inn was sold to Lawrence Jones of Philadelphia. In 1962 the Jones estate sold the Inn to Spinnen-weber Builders, Inc.
Front Back Inside
Mariemont Inn Double card
ELEANOR LODGE GREEN TOWNSHIP HOTEL KEMPER LANE HOTEL LAREDO HOTEL
THE PRESIDENT THE EIMER HOTEL
3743 Reading Road at Greenwood 6th & Walnut
The 2nd & 3rd cards above are not postcards. The President is now called the Cincinnati Metropolitan.
THE OAK HOTEL AUBURN HOTEL PARK HOTEL
Main & Malvern Place College Hill
The Park Hotel was located near the streetcar barn on the northwest corner of Hamilton Avenue and North Bend Road. The hotel was owned by the John Hauck Brewing Co. and was a popular spot for travelers and its fine dining. A orchestra played on Saturdays.
HOTEL ANDERSON COLONIAL HOTEL SEIBERT'S HOTEL ELMWOOD PLACE
307-309 Broadway 311 Broadway
Next door to Hotel Anderson!
VALLEY VIEW HOTEL
This card has so much crossed out and replaced with new information it is hard to figure out what this complex used to be.
I believe, but have not confirmed, that Amity Road is now Galbraith Road. The area seen in the last image above is where I think the Valleyview Hotel was located. The large building on the left is Covidien located at 2111 E. Galbraith Road which happens to be, believe it or not, a giant in the healthcare products industry. That is the corner of Reading Rd. & Galbraith on the left. If I am wrong about this location please let me know.
DIXIE HOTEL PRINCETON HOTEL BRISTOL HOTEL
3rd & Broadway 431 Main Street SW Corner 6th & Walnut
A Chinese laundry is on the corner.
The Bristol Hotel was originally known as the Crawford House. The Bristol was where P. T. Barnum and other circus owners would meet on a yearly basis, and this is where Samuel Clemens (Mark Twain} would stay while working as a steamboat pilot.
Located at 400 Oak Street this 177 room building
was built in 1924 at a cost of $1.5 million. When opened it was for wealthy,
retired persons living in luxurious apartments, it also contained hotel rooms
and a restaurant open to the public. In 1945 it was considered to be pretty well
run down. It was bought by Marge Schott's father-in law Walter Schott. It continued
downhill due to racial unrest in the area during the 60's and 70's. It was again
sold in 1977. In the 1980's a multi-million dollar restoration once again
brought back the hotel to its old glory. It has now been decided to close the
hotel at the end of March, 2009 due to "current market conditions."
Over the years the hotel has hosted many of the nation's most famous celebrities such as Presidents Lyndon Johnson, George Bush Sr. and John F. Kennedy. Some of Hollywood's celebrities have been Judy Garland, Yul Brynner, Jane Fonda, Pete Rose, Sarah Jessica Parker, Willie Nelson, Bob Dylan, Aretha Franklin, little Richard, The Temptations, Luther Vandross, Emmy Lou Harris, Trisha Yearwood, Charlie Daniels, The Allman Brothers, Sheryl Crow, etc. The cast and crew of the movie "Rainman" including Dustin Hoffman and Tom Cruise made the Vernon Manor their temporary home while filming in the Cincinnati area in 1988. In the movie, Hoffman's character keeps repeating "400 Oak St." in various scenes.
The famous anthropologist Margaret Mead resided here annually when she was a visiting professor at the medical school.
The Beatles stayed at the hotel in 1966, during the band's second trip to Cincinnati. The suite they stayed in had two bathrooms, living and dining rooms, a kitchen and den. Since then it has been known as The Beatles Suite and contains Beatles memorabilia on all the walls with the furniture in Sgt. Pepper colors.
The swimming pool seen in the last card has long been filled in for use as a parking lot. The building will be converted, in 2010, into office space for Cincinnati Children's Hospital Medical Center.
Not a postcard
Located in the area of Woodford and Robinson Roads in Kennedy Heights. Yononte Inn was started by Anthony J. Bullock, as a summer resort. Built in the 1880s, the sprawling 50 room Queen Anne style building cost $65,000 to build, It was called Yononte after a legendary Miami Indian maiden who, according to legend, had been married on the site. It was located on the eastern rim of the hills above the Norwood trough, overlooking the Little Miami Valley, Madisonville, Oakley, Hyde Park, and Norwood. The inn prospered, attracting the Cincinnati elite. It was the sight of many parties and balls to which the rich and famous, including the Vanderbilts were said to have attended. By 1907 the hotel had outlived its usefulness and, after serving for a time as an exclusive dance hall, closed its doors. It burned to the ground in 1909.
CLEVES LOVELAND MILFORD
Cleves Hotel Broadway Hotel (Anchutz Building) Booso Hotel
THE SPENCER HOUSE
The Spencer House opened in December, 1853, with a
Grand Ball. It became known throughout the South, prior to the Civil War. It was
located on the southwest corner of Broadway & Front Street. You can see the
Spencer House in the first postcard image below. It is the large building just
left of center with the awnings on the windows at street level. It cost
$400,000.00 to build which was an enormous sum in those days and was owned by a
famous actress of the day, Charlotte Cushman.
The river boat trade produced a lot of professional gamblers that stopped in Cincinnati, so one of the rooms at the Spencer was built so that it was absolutely sound-proof for use by them. After his impeachment President Johnson stopped here. After the war the hotel's prestige declined rapidly due to the decline in river traffic and it soon became a tenement house as can be seen in the 2nd photo. The 3rd 1889 image shows a wooden Indian that stood on the corner and can be vaguely seen behind the people in the 2nd photo. The last image is an ad.