Odds & Ends

 


This section will contain everything I didn't know where to put or too small to merit a separate page of their own.

D. X. RANCH

Located 30 minutes east on Ohio State route 125.

DX Ranch-4.jpg (56180 bytes)            DX Ranch-6-vert.jpg (76749 bytes)            Waitresses at DX Ranch.jpg (323668 bytes)

DX Ranch-1.jpg (84358 bytes)    DX Ranch-2.jpg (83068 bytes)    DX Ranch-3.jpg (87029 bytes)    DX Ranch-5.jpg (95312 bytes)

 

HANDLEBAR  RANCH

Handlebar-z2front.jpg (133799 bytes)    Handlebar-z2back.jpg (71458 bytes)            Handlebar Ranch.jpg (477007 bytes)    Handlebar Ranch back.jpg (170041 bytes)

Handlebar-z1.jpg (115509 bytes)

 

FRESH  AIR  HOME  (FARM)

Terrace Park Residence.jpg (139316 bytes)

Fresh Air Farm Admin Bldg..jpg (254062 bytes)        Fresh Air Farm-1.jpg (113905 bytes)        Fresh Air Farm-2.jpg (95484 bytes)        Fresh Air Farm-3.jpg (139447 bytes)
Administration Bldg.                                                                              Cottages                                    Entrance            

Fresh Air Farm-4.jpg (118771 bytes)        Fresh Air Farm-5.jpg (95701 bytes)        Fresh Air Farm Playground.jpg (96302 bytes)*      Fresh Air Farm Pool.jpg (225635 bytes)
Play Pavilion                            Myrtle Cottage                            Play Ground                          Swimming Pool

Fresh Air Farm (1).jpg (466522 bytes)        Fresh Air Farm Laundries.jpg (256015 bytes)        Fresh Air Farm (2).jpg (321407 bytes)        Terrace Park F.A.F. Playground.jpg (378544 bytes)
Play Ground                                Laundries                                Dining Room                            Play Ground  

Fresh Air Farm (3).jpg (370134 bytes)
Administration Building

Fresh Air Farm.jpg (347425 bytes)        Fresh Air Farm today.jpg (386341 bytes)
2 Aerial Views Of Center As It Looks Today

   The Fresh Air Farm was established in the 1890s for people who lived in the inner city as a place to escape to from the foul city air. Located in Indian Hill/Terrace Park at 5650 Given Road. It is now used by United Ways Stepping Stones Center providing year-round services to disabled persons of any age. See also the section on Bethany Home on page 2 of the Religious Institution section for another fresh air home. The last 2 images are present day aerial views of the property. Even though the cards place the farm in Terrace Park, it is actually in Indian Hill. The border area has always been ill defined.

 

HAZELHURST

Hazelhurst-6.jpg (100115 bytes)    Hazelhurst-5.jpg (79678 bytes)    Hazelhurst-1.jpg (83541 bytes)  *Hazelhurst, Mt. Healthy, O..jpg (47282 bytes)    Hazelhurst-az.jpg (103135 bytes)

 

Hazelhurst-2.jpg (73026 bytes)        Hazelhurst-3.jpg (100340 bytes)        Hazelhurst-4.jpg (65134 bytes)        Hazelhurst porch.jpg (80049 bytes)

   Hazelhurst was a large estate that was located at 7900 Hamilton Avenue in Mt. Healthy. In 1914 Cincinnati Bell bought this mansion to be used by their "Hello-Girls" as a vacation retreat. These were the Cincinnati & Suburban telephone operators that connected you when you used the phone. This sprawling mansion was a "women only" retreat. Men were permitted to visit only in specified areas during reasonable times. Remember the "Vacationists," as the girls were referred to, were "proper ladies" and were expected to behave accordingly.
   The Vacationists were treated to "spa-like" accommodations at Hazelhurst. There was a large kitchen and dining area where parties were held. Guests were entertained in a living room containing a large stone fireplace. A large porch encircled the first floor. Each second floor sleeping room had a doorway onto a porch where the Vacationists could roll their beds out to escape the heat of the summer evenings.
   The grounds included an orchard and floral garden where they could pick apples, cultivate flowers or walk with a visiting beau. Later a pool and cabana were added.
   The changing society and the automobile were major contributors to Hazelhurst's demise and, in 1929 with the depression looming, it was sold. I have been informed that there is now a trailer park at this location.

 

A  LITTLE  BIT  OF  EVERYTHING

Kraemer Skyline.jpg (200185 bytes)

   This is a rather unusual Kraemer postcard in that the back is completely blank and available for a large message.

 

Carthage-Gypsys.jpg (131797 bytes)                multi-image.jpg (39840 bytes)
Gypsy camp in Carthage                        Souvenir multi-view      

 

BOY / GIRL SCOUTS

Girl Scout Convention.jpg (178665 bytes)

Card advertising the Girl Scout's 32nd National Convention held in Cincinnati in 1953.

 

Boy Scout Camp.jpg (128324 bytes)    Boy Scout Camp-rev.jpg (83898 bytes)    Boy Scouts-2.jpg (138077 bytes)    Bot Scout Camp.jpg (230636 bytes)    Camp Friedlander Scouts.jpg (391854 bytes)
Boy Scout camp Edgar Friedlander Located in Miamiville (North of Camp Dennison)

 

Entrance to Dan Beard Scout Camp Loveland.jpg (489895 bytes)        Dan Beard Boy Scouts.jpg (433249 bytes)        Cincinnati Dan Beard Camp.jpg (734512 bytes)        Camp Friedlander Eagles Nest.jpg (223917 bytes)
                        Entrance                                         Dan Beard camp                                                                                             

 

Beard-Dan-002.jpg (41808 bytes)        Beard-Dan-003.jpg (76319 bytes)        Dan Beard.jpg (79586 bytes)

   The 3 non-postcard images above are of Dan Beard, founder of the Boy Scouts. He was born in Cincinnati on June 21, 1850. He lived at 322 East Third Street in Covington, Kentucky which was near the Licking River until he was 21. As a boy he explored the woods and river and made sketches of nature. His early careers were as an engineer and surveyor, and he attended art school in New York City. He wrote a series of articles for the St. Nicholas magazine that later became the basis for the American Boy's Handy Book. He illustrated a number of books for Mark Twain (A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court) and other authors.
   Beard became the editor of Recreation magazine in which he wrote a monthly column for youth. In 1905 he founded the Sons of Daniel Boone, basing it on American frontier traditions. He moved his column to Women's Home Companion but after a new editor caused conflicts, he once again moved his column to the Pictorial Review. Because Women's Home Companion retained the rights to the name, he renamed the organization the Boy Pioneers of America.
   He merged his organization into the Boy Scouts of America when it was founded in 1910. Beard served for 30 years as one of the National Scout Commissioners of the Boy Scouts.
   Beard also helped his sister Lina Beard organize the Camp Fire Girls in 1910, and was the president of the Camp Fire Club of America.

Camp Fire Girls.jpg (315764 bytes)
Camp Fire Girls
Camp Firefly

   Beard died on June 11, 1941 and is buried in the Brick Church Cemetery in Spring Valley, New York.
   There is a statue of Daniel Carter Beard in Covington along the Ohio River next to his boyhood home, now a National Historic Landmark. Of course the Daniel Carter Beard Bridge, which carries I-471 across the Ohio River, was named for him.

 

King's Mills Boy Scouts-1914.jpg (281072 bytes)

   This real photo postcard was taken in King's Mills. It is either a group of  Scouts or a group from one of the local YMCA's.

 

Dan Beard Totem.jpg (1139143 bytes)        Dan Beard Totem-back.jpg (150346 bytes)

   This unusual sized postcard measures 3 7/16" X 9". It shows a totem pole that was carved by 126 Boy Scouts for the Bicentennial. Weighing 1900 lbs., it is 39' tall. The 19 symbols depict the story of Scouting. 

 

FORT  SCOTT  CAMPS  LOCATED IN  HARRISON, OHIO

Fort Scott Aerial-Harrison.jpg (616391 bytes)
Aerial View of camps

 

FOR  BOYS

Fort Scott Harrison-1.jpg (108555 bytes)        Fort Scott Harrison-2.jpg (101972 bytes)        Fort Scott Boys Swimming Pool.jpg (251109 bytes)

 

FOR  GIRLS

Fort Scoot Equestrians.jpg (585744 bytes)        Fort Scott-girls pool.jpg (269844 bytes)        Harrison-Girls camp.jpg (129082 bytes)        Fort Scott Camp-Harrison.jpg (263108 bytes)

 

german red cross.jpg (87338 bytes)

  Souvenir card of the German-Austro-Hungarian Aid Society of Cincinnati. Formed in 1914 by Cincinnati Germans to aid those in need in Germany and Austro-Hungary as a result of the war, such as widows and orphans. Holding a variety of fund raising events they were able to raise close to $80,000 by the time the U.S. entered the war in 1917. 

 

spca.jpg (107867 bytes)                            1915-Humane Society Fountain.jpg (105654 bytes)
Hamilton County         S.P.C.A.            Horse Fountain - 1915    
                                                               Not a postcard

  There were at least two animal fountains in downtown Cincinnati, one at the Northeast corner of Pearl & Sycamore Sts. and the other was located on West Fourth Street. They were also for dogs but I can not see how with this image (unless they were as big as a horse!).

 

Norwood flag.jpg (85149 bytes)
Flag of Norwood Ohio 

 

Animal Act-1.jpg (153731 bytes)        Animal Act-2.jpg (156467 bytes)
Have no information on this animal act but I
 am pretty positive it was taken in Cincinnati.

 

MILITARY  RELATED

1 More River To Cross (1).jpg (456732 bytes)    1 More River To Cross (2).jpg (275261 bytes)
Civil War Related Card

 

Nat Guard camp.jpg (116616 bytes)           Flag presentation.jpg (123155 bytes)                            Military Camp, Sharonville.jpg (124062 bytes)
   A couple of military cards with Cincinnati connections.                                  Military camp in Sharonville
                                                                                                                                      in 1917

 

TROOPS  IN  CINCINNATI  1917

1916 Army.jpg (97312 bytes)        1916 Army-1.jpg (118294 bytes)        WWI Soldiers Lincoln Park 2.jpg (133701 bytes)        WWI Soldiers at Lincoln Park.jpg (166095 bytes)

 

        1916 Army-2.jpg (111246 bytes)        WWI Soldiers Lincoln Park.jpg (147551 bytes)        1916 Army-3.jpg (175407 bytes)

   In 1917 with the United States now at war in Europe it was felt that the need to guard Federal property and the bridges and arteries into the Cincinnati area was necessary. Thus in April of 1917 the Third Ohio Infantry was sent to Cincinnati and camped at Lincoln Park (where Cincinnati Union Terminal now sits). The 1st postcard above was taken in front of the Ferger Grain Co. which was located at Hopkins & President Place which was west of Lincoln Park and no longer exists due to the construction of Cincinnati Union Terminal. The building in the 3rd & 4th cards is the C. F. Streit Mfg. Co. (furniture) which was at 1040-1052 Kenner. Kenner is parallel to the terminal on the North side. The 5th card looks like it was taken at a shelter that may have been in the park. The regiment was later moved to Eden Park and the last postcard shows this camp. Besides posting sentries on the bridges and other government buildings the Third Ohio was used to guard the giant ammunition plant at King's Mill, Ohio. The Carthage Fair Grounds were also used for their camp. In August the Third said farewell amid many speeches and a parade. The duties of the Third were taken over by the First Ohio which moved onto the old Sharonville Speedway, (see Panorama page of the Bird's-Eye-View section).

HOME  GUARD  1917-1921

HomeGuard.jpg (93456 bytes)        Homeguard3.jpg (360710 bytes)        Homeguard4.jpg (392484 bytes)        Homeguard5.jpg (354558 bytes)
                                                               Front                Back

   Thanks to Brian Coates for sending the above items. The 1st card was taken at Rensler's Studio in Cincinnati. The medal was handed out to each member at the end of their service in 1921. They were made by the Miller Jewelry Co. located at 6th & Vine. There are a couple of web sites that go into the establishment of, and their duties during, their enlistment. How they combine with the cards above is rather confusing and would suggest you do your own research.

 

FDC-Servicemen.jpg (203006 bytes)

   This First Day Cover is for the stamp that was issued on November 24, 1970. It honors U.S. Servicemen.

 

DISABLED  AMERICAN  VETERANS  HEADQUARTERS

DAV Headquarters.jpg (267403 bytes)    DAV Receptionist.jpg (217365 bytes)    DAV Recption Room.jpg (234020 bytes)    DAV Lounge & Waiting Room.jpg (262125 bytes)
            Headquarters                      Receptionist                     Reception Room           Lounge & Waiting Room

 

DAV Commanders Office.jpg (285565 bytes)    DAV-Adjutants Office.jpg (299415 bytes)    DAV Lost Key Dept..jpg (226662 bytes)    DAV-Cafeteria.jpg (292339 bytes)
Commander's Office               Adjutant's Office                  Lost Key Dept.                         Cafeteria           

   Thanks to visitor T. Jeff Davis I now know why they had a Key Dept. If you had donated to the DAV back in the 50s, 60s and early 70s you would receive a small colored metal key tag that matched your car's license plate. If the keys were ever lost, the finder would simply drop them into any mail box and the Post Office would send them to the DAV's Lost Key Dept. for return to the owner. The DAV stopped sending these tags and changed over to sending out return address labels. (See below)

DAV Licenses.jpg (32203 bytes)        DAV Licenses back.jpg (44252 bytes)        DAV Key Tag.jpg (31836 bytes)        DAV Key Tag back.jpg (30558 bytes)

 

DAV-FDC.jpg (229102 bytes)    DAV FDC 1.jpg (181772 bytes)
D.A.V. First Day Covers

 

DAV camp.jpg (165163 bytes)
DAV Summer Camp

 

Pleasant Ridge Honor Roll.jpg (178804 bytes)            Pleasant Ridge Honor Roll-back.jpg (144515 bytes)            Pleasant Ridge Honor Roll.jpg (231241 bytes)
Pleasant Ridge WWII Honor Roll Fund Raiser

   The 3rd image above is a present day photograph of the Pleasant Ridge Honor Roll located at the corner of Montgomery Road and Losantiville Avenue seen in the 1st postcard.

 

FOR  MORE  OF  THESE  CARDS