Town Center Park
A Pleasant Stroll Carillon Tower Addison Walk
Lagoon Lagoon Boat House Boat House Today Lich-Gate
The Lagoon was located in Dogwood Park (named for the many Dogwood trees found in the area) along the south side of Wooster Pike and west of Pleasant St. In 1927 a boat house was built at the east end. The Lagoon was filled in with dirt in 1942 and ceased to exist. The boat house was used for the next 50 years as a meeting place for Boy Scout Troops. It has now been restored as part of Mariemont's 75th Anniversary. and is now used as the headquarters for a nature trail in Dogwood Park. The 3rd image is a present day photo. The Carillon Tower was constructed in 1929 and dedicated "to the youth of Mariemont" by the sister of the founder of Mariemont Mary Emory, Isabella Hopkins. It is 100' tall with 23 bells of which the largest, "Bourdon", weighs 2 tons. The Lich-Gate gets its name from the Anglo-Saxon word for corpse: "Lic." In ancient churchyards, the Lich-Gate stood at the entrance to consecrated ground. In this instance the gate stands next to a cemetery driveway not far from Wooster Pike. The structure was intended to give shelter to the bearers of the body while waiting for the priest to begin the burial service.
Shademore Park is located across the Little Miami south of Mariemont in the bend of the river. The Cottage Park mentioned on the postcard is the name of the street along the edge of the park as seen in the aerial photo. The "Beach" mentioned on the postcard is pretty evident in the photograph.
The first two 1908 RPPCs above shows the park in what was then called Home City (1849 - 1911). Home City was annexed to Cincinnati in June of 1911 and was renamed Sayler Park in honor of Nelson Sayler, the town's first mayor, who donated the village green. The smallest park in Hamilton County called Thornton Triangle (.01 acre) is located at Gracely Dr. and Thornton St. The statue of the Indian "Tecumseh" was erected in 1912 by the J. L. Mott Iron Works of New York. The statue of an eastern Woodlands Indian acquired the name Tecumseh from the Shawnee intertribal leader who led the resistance against white expansion into the Ohio region. The statue was a gift from Eliza Thornton in memory of her husband J. Fitzhugh Thornton. The 1937 flood partially submerged the statue and it was struck by a car 3 years later and was sold to an antique dealer in Indiana for $10. The outraged citizens of Sayler Park vowed to find and return the statue to its pedestal. It was found and returned several months later.
Avoca Park Lagoon A=Avoca Park entrance Real Photo-1902
Avoca Park is located between Terrace Park and Mariemont at 7949 Wooster Pike. The lagoon was formed by the water that had passed thru the Mill's turbine and had exited the mill (mill's tail race). Thanks to Tom Jesionowski, whose great grandparents were the ones who originally developed the park between 1878 and 1907 before selling, I now have more information. It was originally called Hartmann's Grove and the original mill was constructed in 1802 by Columbia Township pioneer Nathaniel Armstrong and is said to have been the second mill in the Miami Valley. Later mills not only ground grain but also were used to pull and card fiber. The photograph in the 3rd image shows the old Armstrong Upper Mill in 1907. It was located in the Northeast part of Avoca Park across from where the Miami Bluff Apartments now stand. Standing in front of the building is (right to left) the mill owner John A. Hartmann, his nephew Ed Hartmann, and a unknown person (possibly the buyer in 1907).
The postcard of Hartman's dam above may not have anything to do with Hartmann's Grove (different spelling) cannot read the postmark but it was mailed to Batavia, Ohio.
John Hartmann's brother, Charles Hartmann, moved to Mt. Healthy and purchased what later became known as the C. C. Groff Flour Mill. To see this mill .
Avalon Camp (?)
Twin Tower Lakes
4 Miles W. of Cheviot
Ripple Outing Club at Remington, Ohio Remington Ohio Today
This postcard is smaller than a normal postcard (3 1/8" X 4 1/2"). Remington, Ohio is Census Designated Place (CDP) Adjacent to Loveland, Indian Hill and Camp Dennison. The road you see in the overhead view in the last image is Loveland-Maderia Road. This image shows the area where this picnic PROBABLY took place.
This 3 part card has been scanned into 2 parts because it would not fit in the scanner.
VALLEY VIEW PICNIC GROVE
7160 Shawnee Run Road