Levi Addison Ault was president of Ault and Wiborg Company, once among the world's leading manufacturers of printing inks. When Ault became president of the Board of Park Commissioners in 1908, Cincinnati had 369 acres of parklands; when he left the post in 1926, it had 2,200 acres. Hence Ault is known as the "father of the Cincinnati Park system." Ault (1853-1930) and his wife, Ida May (1853-1931) donated 205 acres of Ault Park's 224 acres.
Martha Winkler residence 1875 Hewitt & Wold Aves. Residence on Fairfax Ave.
The cards above show the home of
Nicholas Longworth (1869-1931). Located on Grandin Road near Rookwood Drive. His father Joseph Longworth built this home around 1850. It was called Rookwood
because of the many crows that could be found roosting in the trees and consisted of 15 acres.
When his daughter Maria established an art pottery company she named it Rookwood
after her childhood home and because of the similarity of its name to Wedgwood. He married President Theodore Roosevelt's
daughter Alice in 1906. The image below is a postcard that has a 1904 copyright
on it which is two years before they were married. I believe this copyright is
for the Alice Roosevelt image only.
Longworth was an accomplished violinist and occasionally played during musicals. he was a congressman for many years serving from 1899-1901, 1903-1913, and from 1915 to his death in 1931. He was Speaker of the House his last three terms.
Mr. & Mrs. Longworth Newspaper drawing
These two cards show The Jacob Schmidlapp mansion.
Jacob Schmidlapp was President of the Clifton Springs Distilling Co. on Ludlow Ave. near the Millcreek and was also Chairman of the Board of the Union Savings Bank & Trust Co.. He was well known as a provider of low income housing. The first two postcards above show his home at 2285 Grandin Road. The first postcard in the second row show one of his Cincinnati Model Homes' Co. tracts. Schmidlapp began to build houses for wage earners in 1911. Around 1915 he and a few friends incorporated The Cincinnati Model Homes' Co. The company's houses averaged 8 to the acre. The last two images above show one of the tracts as it looks today. They are the Kerper Apartments on the 3000 block of Kerper.
The Frank Tuchfarber Residence was located near the corner of Boudinot and Mozart Avenues. Mozart Ave. was named by Tuchfarber who had been well known in musical circles. The estate was later purchased by Mary Emery as an arboretum called The Botanical Gardens. The area since 1939 has been subdivided for homes.
The first four cards are of Werk Castle on the corner of Harrison Ave. and Werk Road. Built in 1897, it was also called Werk Place, and Werk Manor. It was built by Eugenie M Werk the spinster daughter of Michael Werk Michael Werk a pioneer Cincinnati soap and candle producer and was also known for his wine and champagne. The home was razed in 1939 for the homes you see in the last card that were built on the site.
Oskamp Mansion William Oskamp Residence Today
The Residence above was called "Willadel" and was built in 1896 by William and Adele Werk Oskamp at 2373 Harrison Avenue. "Willadel" was a combination of their first names. It was constructed on land owned by Adele's father, Michael Werk, who owned many acres of land in Westwood. Oskamp was a very successful jeweler and silver manufacturer. In 1946 the home, two separate servants homes and a 3 story barn were sold to The Baptist Home for the Age which is now known as the Judson Village Retirement Community. The drawing is another newspaper artist rendition. See the 2nd page on Charities in the Religious Section for further information.
Harrison Avenue Unknown Home
RESIDENCES IN NO PARTICULAR ORDER
The John Hauck house is at 812 Dayton Street Louis Hauck (son)
The Kellogg Homestead Newer Image
3811 Eastern Avenue
Built by Samuel Knisley as an inn, by the 1840's it was used as a private residence by his descendants. The Kellogg family lived there from the 1840's until 1977. Ensign R. Kellogg was a coal merchant. One of his sons (Marshall 1865-1950) became president of the National Lead Co. and his other son Edwin (1862-1937) was active in city government. From 1899 to 1921 he served on the city council, vigorously pursuing road and sewer improvements for the East End. Kellogg Avenue was named in his memory.
Three Pleasant Ridge Residences Thompson Homestead Elmwood Place
Terrace Park Home Virginia Lynne
2824 Melrose Ave.
The 1st card above was called a "Fresh Air" home because it was situated in the eastern suburb of Terrace Park so that inner-city children could escape the smog and dangers of their neighborhoods. Cincinnati was active in the national settlement house movement which provided citizenship, job training, and sports programs for immigrants and poor urban families. Today it is the site of the Stepping Stones Center for the handicapped.
Two Vernonville Residences
The 2nd photograph above shows what the home in the 1st postcard looks like today. It is located around 3009 Vernon Place.
These 3 images are not postcards
William Haines Lytle
The William Lytle Home was located across the street from the Taft House (now the Taft Museum) in What is now Lytle Park. One of his sons, William Haines Lytle, was a poet, a lawyer, and a brigadier General who was killed at the battle of Chickamauga in the Civil War. It was here where he wrote his famous poem "Anthony and Cleopatra." The Lytle family owned much of the land in the area and in 1905 the city bought this land for $242,000 for use as a park and playground. In 1908 the historic home was demolished and Lytle Park took its place..
Edward Busse was president and secretary of the Busse and Borgmann Co. undertakers. You can see some of their cards in the Advertisers section.
Home builder Myers Y. Cooper
Back Of Both Cards 1342 Duncan Ave. Residence Today
Unsere Wohnung Home Today 3626 Reading Rd.
2624 Eden Avenue
2136 N. Main St. R.P. N. A. Berthol residence
1711 Ninion Avenue
Real Photo Postcard
Home in Harrison
Christian Waldschmidt House. Camp Dennison Interior
During the Civil War, this house (built in 1804)
was part of Camp Dennison, which was used primarily as a general training
center, recruiting depot, and hospital post. It was named after Governor William
Dennison. Before that the area was known as "Germany",
established by Christian Waldschmidt and a group of Pennsylvania German pietists
in 1795-96. Waldschmidt erected the first paper mill in Ohio here and the
buildings are the oldest in Hamilton County. This house, now known after the man who built it as Waldschmidt
House, served as the headquarters for General Joshua Bates. The house fell into
disrepair over the years. In 1941 Mr. & Mrs. Chester Kroger of Cincinnati
who had purchased the property, gave the house to the Ohio Society Daughters of
the American Revolution (OSDAR) and donated $5,000 to start the restoration.
Restoration was not begun until after WWII. In 1953 the house was dedicated and
opened to the public as a museum.
After the Civil War ended in 1865 Camp Dennison was no longer needed and was deactivated in September. The small community of Camp Dennison, Ohio, sprang up around the camp and Hospital. Many of the homes and barns used the lumber and other materials found at the abandoned army camp.
The Christian Waldschmidt House is located between the towns of Indian Hill and Milford at 7575 Glendale-Milford Road. The image above is what it looks like today. The three non-postcard images below show how Camp Dennison camp looked during the Civil War.
This real photo postcard is not a residential card, nor is it a very clear or good card, but I stuck it here because Camp Dennison cards are few and far between and I wanted to keep them together. It states on the card that this view is after the blast of 93 cans of powder on the hill below the camp. That's it. It was mailed in January of 1907. Not much of a card but it is a card.
CIVIL WAR COVER
This unused Civil War envelope shows either a man-like target or a prisoner being shot. The name Jeff is on the figure.