HORSES & MULES
The Cincinnati Horse Trotting Horse Breeder Cleves Horse Farm Henry Gade Horse Shoer
& Mule Exchange Loveland
The first card above shows the Cincinnati Horse & Mule Exchange. This was known as the 5th Street Stables and was located on the south side of the street east of Main. Sometimes 400 horses a day were sold there during the 1880's along with a 5 cent glass of beer. Henry Gade had, at least, two addresses over the years, 1831 Sherman Ave., and 3564 Montgomery Ave. I don't know which one is shown in the 4th card above.
Donkey (American Mammoth Jack stock)
These three postcards were taken in Camp Washington. I do not know what the occasion was.
The card above was produced by the Standard Hay and Grain Co. for New Years in 1907. Their office was on the corner of 6th and Carr Sts. They were receivers and shippers.
1911 Ad For
Prior to the formation of the Cincinnati Street Railway Company in 1880 the only means of mass transportation in the city was a large horse drawn vehicle resembling a stagecoach known as an omnibus. The 1909 postcard above was made from a 1873 photograph of an omnibus in Cumminsville. When they traveled the streets of the city their noise would drown out everything else. To quote a citizen heard to remark: "Those nuisances shouldn't be allowed on the streets. They get in the way of carriages and jam up the streets. Their noise wakes the dead and they're a menace to the lives of our citizens." Another person was heard to reply: "They're mighty handy for folks who don't own carriages and even for those who do, when they don't care to hitch up just to come downtown." Several omnibus lines were established but their service was not dependable and they got in the way of private carriages and wagons. They continued to make trips into the 1880s.
THE CINCINNATI EPIZOOTIC OF 1872
It is hard for us, living in the modern society we
do, to understand the complete dependence on our four-footed hoofed friends for
survival before the 20th century, and automobiles arrived. For three weeks near
the end of 1872 Cincinnati was almost completely paralyzed. After the Civil War
the nation was swept by a series of animal epidemics. In 1869 the "Texas
Fever" attacked cattle throughout the Mid West and almost halted the
consumption of beef, milk and cream in many cities. Rabies was extremely
prevalent among dogs nation wide in 1871. In 1872 a very contagious form of
influenza among horses appeared in Canada and, from there, swept thru the United
States. Cincinnati seemed to have missed the "Canadian horse disease,"
epizootic or epizooty as it was variously called and seemed to be ok thru the
summer and fall of 1872.
Late in October 4 circus horses from out of town were taken to the stable of veterinarian, Dr. Bowler and it was soon apparent that they were suffering from the dreaded ailment. Within days more horses became infected. On November 7th, it was publicly admitted that the disease had come to Cincinnati. On the 9th it was estimated that 250 horses were ill. Rapidly the number of streetcars and busses were being depleted; a few were kept going with mules until, even they began to succumb as the disease began to grow in virulence. On the 12th the first death occurred; then more and more died every day after that.
Within a week from the onset, practically all street transportation had disappeared except for the cars running to Columbia, which were propelled by little "dummy" steam engines (see streetcar link above). The railroads tried to help out by stopping every two or three blocks but this was of comparatively little help. Towards dusk each evening great masses of people in this city of 200,000 began walking home from their jobs, many of which lived on the other side of the Ohio River or up on top of the many hills surrounding the city. Many began sleeping at their place of work as the walks back and forth became to much of a chore. This became less of a problem as many businesses were forced to shut down because of the lack of transportation.
The removal of goods from businesses became an impossibility, enormous amounts of goods accumulated in railroad freight houses and overflowed them, perishable foods spoiled rapidly. The food supply began to run out because local farmers were afraid to drive their products into the city and cause their own horses to be stricken. Milk supplies disappeared and it was suggested that cows be driven into the city and milked in front of peoples doors, but this was determined to be impracticable.
Boats on the Miami and Erie Canal were idle, even if their mules were unaffected, there were no wagons to haul the freight to and from the canal landings. The street-cleaning department ceased operations on the 12th, and garbage and waste started to become a problem. Abattoirs and packing houses were slowing down, but in the two or three days before they stopped completely, offal accumulated, which quickly became offensive, the stink was overpowering.
Because the Fire Department had no horses for their equipment, their greatest fear was a conflagration that might get out of control. They returned to the old method of humans pulling the fire apparatus.
As many as 15 or 20 men could be seen hauling loads up grades.
Horses were dying at the rate of 30 or more a day which posed a greater problem, that of disposing of the huge carcasses. Now the funeral procession was seen in reverse, men carrying dead horses, in most cases to reduction plants where animals were turned into soap fat, fertilizer, etc.
Oxen it turned out were immune and at the start were bought for $125 to $210 a span (team). On the 15th they brought $175 to $250 a yoke (pair), on the 18th 126 yoke were sold up to $264, and they were going for $300 a yoke in another day. They were a strange sight in Cincinnati, they were not well trained to the yoke and very few men knew how to drive them, plus they are one of the slowest moving creatures on earth. Very little work was accomplished with them.
By the 25th the death rate had noticeably slackened, the epidemic was finally ending and before the end of the month, most of the streetcars were running again. The disease never struck again. The sketch below is the only one I could come up with.
All 4 of the images above are not postcards. In the
1880's velocipedes, also called high wheelers was the great fad. Clubs were
formed for competitive racing and cross-country excursions. Speeds of up to 20
mph were achieved and trips of 10 to 15 miles were common. City
legislation restricted the speed limit to 8 mph but the racers called
"scorchers" and "coasters" still made life difficult for the
pedestrian. The "bike" had handlebars and a saddle seat above a
shoulder-high wheel made of wood or iron which was later covered by solid rubber
tires. You mounted using a small step attached to the smaller foot-high back
wheel. You put one foot on this step and used the other leg to get the
velocipede moving. When the rider thought sufficient speed had been obtained he
would make a wild leap for the saddle and began pawing for the pedals. If he
landed in time and got a lucky break finding the pedals everything would be just
fine. Many times things did not go smoothly and the rider would find himself
landing on his face with the smaller wheel sailing over the top. Any obstruction
struck by the large front wheel would cause a similar disaster. This smaller wheel was, for awhile, in front of the bigger one but the
riders had a tendency to nose dive into the ground. The 3rd image shows the
Brighton Bicycle Club, the earliest club formed for wheelmen (1878). By
1888 the equal size two-wheel bicycle with pneumatic tires called a safety,
began to supercede the velocipede. In the last image you see two ladies on
bicycles wearing long skirts. Bicycling was the sport which first led to the
It was the bicycle that freed the average city dweller from the expense of a horse and carriage or dependence on slow, inadequate public transport. As more and more bicycles came into use the bicyclists insisted on, and got, better roads. It was the bicycle that literally paved the way for mans newest conveyance, the automobile.
AUTOMOBILES AND CARRIAGES
In the 19th century many roads were controlled by private companies. They had built the roads and were supposed to maintain them. They collected tolls from every traveler except widows, ministers, funeral processions and, sometimes, Sunday church goers. As a consequence travel was expensive because the roads were so poorly maintained that passengers were frequently injured and the stage coach companies were liable for such injuries plus any damage to the equipment. Often the transporting of goods cost more than the goods themselves. The center image shows the toll charges that were charged at the Mt Pleasant (later Mt Healthy) toll gate for the Cincinnati & Hamilton Turnpike.
Delhi Toll Gate Harrison Toll Gate
A private conveyance
to Scott Kabakoff
Wilber H. Murray Mfg. Co. 5th and Eggleston Ave., also 139 W. Front St. and 323-329 E. 5th St.
American Carriage Co. 1275-1285 Budd Street
The Delin Carriage Co.
The Delin card above was originally a double card. You separated them and sent the bottom half in to receive a catalog from the company. The company was formerly known as The Buckeye Carriage and Harness Co. and was located at the corner of Central Avenue and York Street.
Various Other Carriage Company's Ads
Alliance Carriage Co. Eagle Carriage Co. Foster Buggy & Cart Co. The Barnett Carriage Co. Richmond & Carr
Buob & Scheu Buggy Tops Frank Barkley Mfg. Miami Manufacturing Co.
The Alliance Carriage Co. was located on Sycamore St. between Court and Canal (now Central Parkway) 1893 ad.. The Eagle Carriage Company was located at 1305 Court St. 1903 ad. The salesmen's office for the Foster Buggy & Card Co. were located in the Pike Building (Pike's Opera House) on 4th St. between Vine & Walnut in this 1893 ad. Buob & Scheu specialized in making buggy tops and buggy trimmings and were located at Court & Broadway. Frank Barkley Mfg. (maker of harnesses) was located at 271-73 Main St. in this 1891 ad. The Miami Manufacturing Co. was located at 62 Longworth St. in 1893.
Enterprise Carriage Mfg. Co. Overman Carriage Co. The Bartholomew Co.
The Enterprise Carriage Mfg. Co. was located in the area surrounded by Court, Canal and Sycamore Sts. in this 1890 ad. The Overman Carriage Co. factory was located at Wade and Denman Sts. (1891 ad.). The 1891 Bartholomew Co. was located on the n.e. cor. of Pearl & Plum Sts.
National Auto School Reading Road & June A Sayers & Scovill Co. Funeral Limousine
Rahe Auto &Tractor School
9th and Walnut Sts.
THE SCHACHT MFG. CO.
The Schacht Manufacturing
Company began in 1904 at Sanford and Cumberland Avenues by two brothers, William
and Gustav A. Schacht. They were running a small shop producing wagons and
buggies when they tried attaching a 10-horsepower gasoline motor to one of their
2 passenger, high-wheeled buggies. It worked and they received several orders to
build more of these "horseless carriages" from early automobile buyers
in the tri-state area. Severe competition came in 1908 when Henry Ford
introduced the Model T, and General Motors was formed with the consolidation of
Oldsmobile, Cadillac, Buick and others. The brothers continued making
improvements and by 1912 they entered the 500-mile race at Indianapolis,
finishing a very respectable 5th out of a starting field of 33. This was a major
coup for the Cincinnati company. Unfortunately this race did not translate into
more business. By 1913 the Schacht power had been increased to a four-cylinder,
50-horsepower model automobile when the company decided to stop building
automobiles (8000 had been produced) and switch to trucks. The company had
become nearly bankrupt trying to expand onto the national stage.
The name of the new company was the G.A. Schacht Motor Truck Company. Trucks were extremely popular by 1927 and orders increased. A new and larger factory was opened that year at 8th and Evans Streets. The new building and the national advertising costs again nearly bankrupted the company. At this time the R.K. LeBlond Machine Tool Company stepped in with financial help. LeBlond became the controlling interest and the official name of the company became the LeBlond-Schacht Truck Company although the new trucks wore only the Schacht name, as did the company's letterhead.
Armleder Co. Delivery Wagons
In 1935 Schacht bought out rival Cincinnati truck manufacturer Armleder which had started out much like Schacht by making wagons and founding the Otto Armleder Carriage Company of Cincinnati in 1904. He began producing gasoline-powered trucks in 1912. Their factory at the time of Schachts takeover was at 12th and Linn Streets. When Otto died in 1935 and the business was sold to Schacht the Otto Armleder trust fund was set up which has since donated many public buildings and parks to the city.
Armleder Factory Otto Armleder 1918 Ad. 1920 Ad.
The Ahrens-Fox Fire Engine Company was a major buyer of Schacht bodies for their fire truck. In 1936 Schacht bought out the debt ridden Ahrens-Fox Co., closed their 31 year old factory, and moved fire engine production to Schacht's factory at Eighth & Linn Streets. The company continued making trucks up to 1940 when it closed. After WWII the Schacht factory continued to make Ahrens-Fox fire engines, but truck production was finished.
The Schacht Mfg. Co.
Back of both cards
Spring Grove Ave. & Straight St.
Schacht in Kansas Schacht in New Mexico Schacht in Hawaii Schacht in Oklahoma
Schacht/Abattoir Co. card
The card above is rather confusing when trying to identify who actually produced the card. I added the back even though it is damaged and you can not read the printed message completely. I believe it was produces by the Schacht Co. although the Abattoir Co. sent the card and whose name is also printed on the back. Very unusual.
1905 Schacht 1/2 Restored
The Schacht shown above is displayed, in Sarasota, Florida, half restored to show the condition of the car when discovered.
The ad above is for the Schacht model-K car and and the next image is a photograph of one.
The 1st image above is a 1903 Schacht carriage ad. The 2nd is a 1910 "Model B", The 3rd ad is for a 1911 "Model 40" The next 2 images are 1912 Invincible Schacht ads. and the next ad is for a 1913 "Model NS". The last two ads are for trucks.
Enger Motor Car Co. Summer & Gest Sts.
Above are two 1910 ads for the Enger Motor Car's Enger "40."
William Stacey Storage Co.
Ferguson Moving & storage Harrison Ohio Truck Stop Norwood GM assembly Plant
2333-35 Gilbert Ave. 5225 Madison Road
Thanks to Scott Kabakoff
Thanks to a relative of the owners of the 5H truck stop, shown in the 3rd card above, I have been informed that the truck stop was called 5H because of 5 members of the Harris family had built it and lived next door in log cabins.
Wilson Freight 3636 Follett Avenue Klawitter Trucking Co. Smitty's Truck Stop
1674 Westwood Ave. Norwood
Front Back Inside
This 1906 double card is from the Standard Automobile Company that was located at 640 Main Street
FOR MORE AUTOMOBILE CARDS